(And New Jersey, Rhode Island, and Cape Cod - 2013)



We travel a lot and get back to the States every 2 or 3 years. I sometimes go there on business, and together we go back for an occasional trip which includes seeing the few remaining members of my family. This time it was a little different because the reason for the trip started with a wedding invitation of the daughter of very close and longtime friends. This was a wedding we wanted to attend, so we made it into a 3 week trip which included family get-togethers, several days in New York City, the wedding which would be in Rhode Island and a visit to longtime friends who live in Cape Cod.



Late September and the first half of October is a very good time for visiting the northeast of the US. The weather is usually nice, and it is the best time to see autumn foliage, especially in New England. Unfortunately, we only saw the very beginning of Autumn, as Rhode Island is in the southern part of New England, and Cape Cod is "out to sea" and goes through autumn later than the rest of New England. Click here for a site dedicated to autumn in New England.


The visit started with several days in New Jersey where my sister lives. She lives in the lovely  town of Hopewell which is about 15 minutes drive from Princeton, home of the world famous university and one of the most beautiful cities in America.  There's nothing significant to write about this part of the visit, except for the restaurant we ate at in Lambertville, New Jersey. Lambertville, together with New Hope, Pennsylvania, which is located directly across the Delaware River from Lambertville,  is a lovely place to visit if you are in this area. New Hope has an active artist population and there are  many antique stores and markets in the area. Lambertville has also become a nice town to stroll in and is filled with many interesting stores.


We had dinner in Lambertville one evening (with the parents of the bride, who live in Pennsylvania) at a fairly new restaurant in Lambertville called Brian's.  Brian is the name of the chef - owner, Brian Held.  Brian had run 2 other restaurants before this one, the last one being Rouget in Newtown, Pa. The restaurant is easy to find, and very close to the bridge to New Hope. The food was very nice, but the noise was intolerable. In order to chat with our dining companions, we had to holler for them to hear us. I don't remember any dish which was particularly memorable. The noise really spoiled our dinner.



The most memorable culinary thing we did in New Jersey was eat the great local corn - raw! It was so sweet, it didn't need cooking. We couldn't get enough, and at every opportunity, we bought more and usually ate it before we got home to my sister's.




Everybody knows that Yankee stadium is in the Bronx, and that the Bronx is in New York City. We went to a game there which was  part of our visit to New York City, but it was such a unique experience, that I described it separately.  Now I can describe everything else we did in new York City. 

  We stayed at the Elysee Hotel located on east 54th Street between Madison and Park. It was exceptional and we loved every minute of our stay there. The staff was excellent, the rooms are the largest I have seen in NYC, and the ambiance was very “old world charm”. The breakfast was very good, and every day there was a “wine and cheese” hour which lasted 3 hours (5-8) and included lots more than wine and cheese. I am sure that some of the guests had wine and cheese instead of dinner. 



The location was excellent with 3 subway stations within walking distance. Lots of restaurants and shopping nearby and attached to the hotel is “the Monkey Bar”, a well known New York City bar and restaurant. This hotel isn’t cheap, but it was worth every penny. In September in NYC, even the cheap hotels are expensive. So you can spend $250 for a bland chain hotel, or $400+ for a first class place like the Elysee.  


  We went to 2 Broadway shows – Pippin, a new remake of an old show, and Chicago, a veteran show still pulling in audiences. We enjoyed both immensely, particularly Pippin with its chorography full of circus stunts. We tried to get tickets to Kinky Boots, but there were no decent seats available for our dates.  
  We went to one concert at Lincoln Center with Yefim Bronfman playing Tchaikovsky’s first piano concerto. We visited Time-Warner Center at Columbus circle and of course walked and walked and walked all about the city. At Time-Warner, we visited the Mandarin Oriental Bar on the 35th floor of the mandarin Hotel and had a light lunch there. The view is amazing, the food is what you would expect at a place on the 35th floor with a wonderful view of Central Park.







We visited the World Trade Center Memorial and strolled the length of the beautiful Battery Park. The WTC Memorial is very impressive. The last time we were here, there was just a giant hole in the ground. Today, the new tower has been built, the memorial museum building will open in a few months, and the 2 central pieces of the memorial are just incredible. To the right and left are pictures of the memorial pools and a picture of the new WTC tower which is nearing completion. If you want to visit and want to save a few minutes of waiting time, go to this site and order passes on line. The passes are free, but there is a $2 service charge.


We also managed to schedule a visit to the Statue of Liberty on October 1, which was the first day of the American Government shutdown. Of course, it was closed. So, instead we took one of the boat rides around New York Bay. It was very enjoyable, and we took some beautiful pictures. I was particularly impressed by the new skyline of New Jersey. I was born and raised in the Garden State and the development of the entire Hudson River waterfront is absolutely amazing to me.




We walked the length of Hi-line Park on the lower west side and ended with a visit to Chelsea Market, an entire building transformed into a wonderful little marketplace mainly filled with food shops and restaurants. We had lunch there at “Rana”, an Italian restaurant with wonderful fresh pasta.  We also managed to visit one of our nephews who has relocated with his family to NYC for a couple of years to work on an impressive project in Chelsea. 




I had my mandatory Reuben sandwich, a hot dog from a street vendor, and Alisa bought the minimum 2 pairs of shoes. Alisa was pleasantly surprised by the abundance of “gourmet delis” which now exist in every corner of the city. What’s a “gourmet deli”? It’s any deli which has turned itself into a giant salad bar, where you put together your own salad (hot and cold foods of all kinds) and pay by the weight. This is Alisa’s vision of culinary heaven – lots of salad for lunch so that we have plenty of room for a gourmet dinner in the evening.


  And, we did eat in some great restaurants. Most were within walking distance of our hotel. Here’s a summary.  
  Montebello was the first restaurant we dined at. We wanted a nice lunch, but didn’t have a whole lot of time. Montebello is a very nice Italian restaurant near our hotel and with a bit of old world charm. We had several dishes and found the fresh pasta to be excellent. Alisa had delicious orecchiette (Pugliese style pasta “ears”) with mussels. It was just right. The service was friendly and efficient. Our waiter was an Argentinian of Italian descent, so he spoke both Spanish and Italian (as does my wife), and we had a very enjoyable lunch. They had good wine by the glass and we had a couple of glasses, plus a grappa and a crème brulé for dessert.  I would call the prices mid-range for New York City. To the right is a picture of us at our table under a huge painting with part of the impressive wine selection.




Barbetta is a classic Italian restaurant located on “restaurant row” on 46TH Street. It caters to the theatre crowd and has a special theatre hour menu (2 courses, salad, dessert and coffee for $58), however they also know how to serve you if you are not in a hurry. Our dinner started at 5:30, and the show we were going to didn’t start until 8, so we told them that we were in no hurry, and we had a pleasant leisurely meal which ended at around 730.

  We both ordered from the theatre menu as the dishes offered suited us. The best dish was Alisa’s Chilean sea bass with asparagus and a little bit of pasta. The whole dish was excellent (picture to the right). It's exactly the kind of dish Alisa loves - simple, delicious and very Italian.  I had a classic Piemontese dish – beef cooked in Barolo wine. Everything was very good. We also had some very nice wines (by the glass), including a Terre del Barolo 2008, which was young but tasty. We were even able to take advantage of a 20% discount on the evening menu which I found on the web site.


  The Atlantic Grill at which we ate is one of three restaurants of the same name located in different parts of the city.  We ate with a friend who is a long time NYC resident who lives right near the west side branch.  We ate at the eastside branch because the menu looked better to me. It is located on 3rd Avenue near 77th street.
Our friend from the eastside was quite surprised by the menu, mainly because of the $35  3 course dinner menu which is served between 5 and 7. We got there at 6 but not because of this menu. In any case, the choices were right for all of us, and the food was quite good. We all had the bisque and either grilled salmon or swordfish, as well as desserts which I don’t remember. The food was fine, the price was right, and the only downside was that the place is big and noisy


Marea is a beautiful Italian restaurant located on Central Park South not far from Columbus Circle. It is about the most upscale Italian restaurant (outside of Italy) that I have eaten in since Mama Leone’s many years ago. The restaurant is beautiful, the food was perfect and the overall ambiance was excellent. We ate dinner there on a Saturday evening, and it was half full when we got there, but quite full by the end of our meal, but the service was perfect throughout.



They had a wonderful menu and a great wine selection. We had chef’s surprise appetizers (salmon tartare), “zuppa” with Sicilian couscous and shellfish, grilled octopus, which was the most succulent and tasty octopus I have ever had. The picture to the left doesn't do it justice but it was really delicious. We also had a seafood dish with lump crabmeat, sea urchin and basil, and swordfish with pumpkin puree, beans, greens, and almonds. The swordfish dish was incredible and a picture of it is to the right. It looks simple, but it really wasn't.



We also had a couple of glasses of nice wine (a Sancerre and an Avellino), and washed it all down with Vin Santo and Moscato d’Asti. The chef also sent out a dessert surprise (2 tiny profiterols), and we had a portion of cheese as well. Everything was perfect. The price was $205 + tip.



La Bernadin is on every critic's list of the 10 best restaurants in New York City, usually in first or second place. It is listed as a French - seafood restaurant. The  motif is strictly fish and seafood but  it also has 3 non fish or seafood dishes and  a single meat dish on the menu, and they are listed as "on request". It has 3 Michelin stars, and as far as we are concerned, everything about our meal was absolutely perfect.  The menu is split into 3 categories - first course, "almost raw"; second course, "barely touched"; and the main course, "lightly cooked".   The evening prix-fix menu is 4 courses for $130. The service was excellent without being overbearing.



All the dishes we had were very original and just perfect. To the left on top is the  the chef's opening snack. The spoonful in the center of the dish is marinated salmon. I don't remember what was on the edges of the dish but everything was delicious. The dish directly to the left is my appetizer - "layers of thinly pounded yellow-fin tuna, foie gras and toasted baguette, chives and olive oil". The foie gras and baguette are hiding beneath the yellow-fin tuna. The tastes combined perfectly and the dish was heavenly. To the right above is my main course - pan roasted lobster, charred baby leeks, sea bean and mango salad, lobster - lemongrass broth. The red rings you see on the plate are thick slices of the lobster tail, each residing in its own slice of shell. There were other dishes of course, and they were all perfect. On the right is a picture of Alisa with our very efficient sommelier, Gili.  They are holding a bottle of grappa.




When we left New York City, we headed to my cousin's house in Hauppauge, Long Island. We spent a night there, had dinner with the family, and another cousin who dropped in, and the next day we drove to the eastern end of Long Island to visit a couple of the wineries there. The north fork of Long Island has developed a vigorous wine industry with about 40 wineries in the area. We visited 2 - Paumonok, and Bedell. We found the wine "good, but far from great" and definitely not worth the high prices they were asking. We paid for our tastings, enjoyed the beautiful views, and moved along.   Here is the official web site of the Long Island Wine Council.




The eastern end of Long Island is quite rural and there were many farm stands. Guess what we found? We found corn and it was as good as the New Jersey corn! (Picture to the right.)  After a light lunch, we headed to the farthest point on the north fork, "Orient Point" where we boarded the ferry to New London, Connecticut, on the way to the wedding in Rhode Island.







The bride wanted a wedding at the water's edge with a beautiful sunset in the background, and that's exactly what she got. The wedding was held at a beautiful mansion with gardens in Bristol, Rhode Island called Blithewold. It really is a beautiful place and they certainly know how to run a wedding. To the left is a picture of the sunset wedding ceremony and to the right is the start of the reception on the grounds of the mansion. The mansion is open (for a fee) for visiting during the day.  The entire 3 weeks we were on this trip, the weather was wonderful. On the day of the wedding, it was cloudy and unpleasant. At around 4 PM, the clouds disappeared, the sun came out and the temperature rose about 10 degrees - perfect for this wedding. (Actually it was a bit warm for all the gentlemen who were in suits and ties, myself included.)




We spent 3 days at the Bristol Harbor Inn in Bristol Rhode Island. There were 3 official events and we attended them all - the wedding of course, a beautiful dinner held at a  restaurant in nearby Tiverton called the Boathouse on the evening before the wedding and an after wedding brunch on the day after the wedding. Everything was lovely. The dinner party at the Boathouse was impressive, and the view of Narragansett Bay from this restaurant is really beautiful. We weren't exposed to the menu, but the food we had and the service were both excellent. From what I could tell it looks like one of the leading restaurants in the area.  


The Bristol Harbor Inn is a modest hotel located right on the waterfront of Bristol, Rhode Island. The building is historic and the bar/restaurant attached to is called the De Wolf Tavern and the hotel breakfast is served there. The tavern is located in a warehouse (since renovated several times) originally built in 1818.   As for the hotel, I can't speak for the regular double rooms, but the suite we had was very nice and very spacious. The hotel service was reasonable, although limited. I would liken it to an elegant motel. To the left is a view of the hotel, and below it is a shot of historic De Wolf Tavern.




As for Bristol itself, it is host to the oldest continuous Fourth of July celebration in the nation, since 1785. Along the path of the parade route, there is a permanent red, white and blue line in the middle of the streets. It is a quaint little town and is home to Roger Williams University and of course, Blithewold. It is also very interesting geographically, as it is sandwiched between Narragansett Bay and Mount Hope Bay, and is almost completely surrounded by water.  There's a picture of the Bristol harbor above and to the right, and a colorful Bristol storefront directly to the right.


  While in Bristol, because of the wedding activities, we had only 2 half-days to sightsee. One day, we went to Newport and the other we drove down the eastern coast of Narragansett Bay to get to Sakonnet Point. When we visited Newport, we didn't have a lot of time, so we did 2 things - we drove part of mansion row (Bellevue Avenue), and then we headed to Bannister’s Wharf, which I guess is the main tourist haunt in Newport.  




Newport is considered the sailing capital of America, and is a very well-heeled and popular resort town. There is lots of traffic on streets which are filled with beautiful shops, and it is a magnet for the rich and powerful. The town and the entire vicinity are filled with beautiful mansions built mostly in the 19th century. There is a scenic drive of 10 miles, aptly called the "10 mile drive" (it is also known as "ocean drive"), which includes driving by many beautiful mansions, stunning ocean views and historical points of interest. Many of the mansions are open to the public with guided tours. To the left are some more links about Newport.  


We strolled around Bannister's Wharf and then went for lunch at The Mooring Restaurant , right next to Bannister’s Wharf, literally in the adjacent parking lot. We already had a recommendation to eat here if we could, so we made a lunch reservation as soon as we arrived at 11:30 AM. Then after strolling around the wharf, we returned to the restaurant for lunch at about 12:30. The place was pretty empty when we arrived, but quite full when we left at 2 PM. 




The food was great, the service was friendly, the atmosphere very nautical with a great view of the harbor, but the best part was the fresh oyster bar. To begin, I had an absolutely wonderful scallop chowder and then a portion of 6 fresh oysters on the half shell. They have about 10 different varieties. I tried 3 kinds (2 of each) and liked them so much I ordered a couple more. It was like tasting wine, each with its own distinctive texture and taste. Alisa had pasta with seafood which the chef customized to her wishes and tastes, and all in all it was a wonderful lunch.  


On the other free day we had, we drove down the eastern shore of Narragansett Bay along route 77 all the way to Sakonnet Point, which is located at the southern tip of this strip of land and faces the Atlantic Ocean. There's not much there except the Sakonnet Light House, which was deactivated in 1954 and reactivated not long ago after an extensive renovation.  On the way we visited "Tiverton Four Corners", which is located just south of the town of Tiverton and is a center for antiques, fine art, jewelry, decorative crafts and cultural activities. It has several stores selling food stuffs, but there was only one restaurant, the Four Corners Grille, where we ate lunch. Lunch was perfectly fine, if not memorable , although I have to say that the fried clam platter that I had was excellent.  
  Here's a useful link if you want to visit New England.  





We spent 3 days in Wellfleet Massachusetts at the house of 2 friends of many many years. We were joined by another couple of veteran friends,  who happened to be in New England at the same time. So, we were 3 couples and we had a great time. Wellfleet is located at the narrowest part of cape Cod and is just a few miles from Provincetown, which is the farthest tip of Cape Cod. It's a lovely area with a very special atmosphere. You are on land connected to the mainland, but you feel like you are on an island in the middle of the ocean. In every direction, there's sea, beaches, and seafood!  


We visited the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary in Wellfleet, where wild chickadees ate seeds from our hands. This is a center dedicated to the preservation of the natural habitats of the area. Walking through the woods one comes across all sorts of small wild animals. Check the picture to the left which shows Alisa feeding a chickadee resting on her fingertips, with a cardinal looking on hungrily. To the right is a picture of a chickadee resting on a branch.



Here are a couple more pictures from the sanctuary. To the left are 2 wild animals we managed to capture with our camera and to the right is a chipmunk. The sanctuary is part of the Audubon Society, and has a variety of activities available. Our friends, Bob and Kathy are members and visit often.


  We took a boat ride to look for whales. This is a popular activity in Provincetown. The cruise, run by "Whalewatch" lasts about 3 hours and sails through the waters where whales and dolphins are often sighted. It's run very professionally and the live narration accompanying the cruise is done by a wildlife professional.



There are also cruises which go out from Boston. We saw several minke whales which are small and playful and one fin whale which is second in size only to the blue whale which is the largest mammal on earth. Because of size and lifestyle, they are not often spotted. Also, after surfacing they usually dive for at least 10 minutes, and you never know where they  will come up. It's not easy to watch for a sighting and get a decent picture with your camera, but I did succeed once or twice. To the right is my best shot of a minke whale. To the left is a shot of the Provincetown light house which we passed on our whale watch cruise.


  Provincetown is a lively and interesting place, even near the end of the tourist season. We were there at the beginning of October (Oct 6-7-8) and most everything closes down during and by the end of October. It's a very picturesque town and I couldn't stop taking pictures. It was the first stop the pilgrims made in the new world, and has a long and interesting history, which you can view here



To the right above is a picture of the Provincetown harbor, and to the left is a picture of the roadway leading to the main boat dock, Macmillan Pier. All the little shacks along the roadway are selling something - tickets to a boat ride, paintings, photographs, or just souvenirs. We bought a small oil painting of the Cape Cod Shore, from artist Shirl Roccapriore, although she wasn't there. Her business was tended by her neighbor, who is a talented photographer named Julie Trembley. We bought a picture from Julie, which I even found on her web site.  It's called "Moon over Pier" and you can see it here.  


We also visited a Cape Cod Winery called Truro Vinyards. It's between Wellfleet and Provincetown. In our opinion, the wine was better than the wine we tasted on Long Island, and we had a nice free guided tour of the winery. The prices for the wine were better than those on Long Island as well. Instead of a tasting we just bought a couple of glasses of wine, one red and one white and enjoyed them as well as the local view. Pictures to the right and left.




To the left is a picture of Alisa, Bob and Roger, the third friend of 35 years having fun on the beach of "West Wellfleet.   Below is a description of the restaurants we ate at.  


The Lobster Pot is a local dining institution in Provincetown.  It is a large sprawling restaurant with a great view overlooking the harbor and a wide menu of fish and seafood. They have everything from raw oysters, several different fish tartáre, lots of lobster, as well as interesting sandwiches, salads and even a few meat dishes. We were a group of 6 and the service was prompt and efficient. Alisa had the hot seafood combo appetizer (oysters Rockefeller, clams casino, baked mussels, and blackened shrimp, and I had the lobster salad roll which was excellent. She was disappointed by the oysters (2 on the dish), but the rest was fine. She also ordered a pasta dish with seafood. The pasta was undercooked and she sent it back and they redid it just right. This is a friendly restaurant and a great place for lunch when you are in Provincetown.


The Wicked Oyster is a nice restaurant in the middle of Wellfleet.  The menu is not very large, and has several meat dishes mixed in with the seafood, even including “upscale” hamburgers. Our group was the six of us and the place was nearly full, but there was only one waitress serving. That made service a little slow, but she did her best and there were no major problems. For my main dish, I had salmon with wheat and asparagus and it was delicious. Alisa had panko encrusted pan fried sole with a lemon-caper cream sauce served over jasmine rice. Everything was tasty, although the sole was a bit oily.


Mack's Shack is a restaurant in Wellfleet with 2 branches, one on the beach and one in in "downtown" Wellfleet. The six of us ate at the “downtown” branch on Commercial Street. The restaurant is in a handsome free standing house, with a beautiful bar and a friendly atmosphere. The menu is mainly seafood and fish with a full selection of sushi. We ate sautéed mussels, "hand grenades", (rice wrapped with shrimp and scallop, with a spicy tasty sauce), stuffed flounder, halibut, and Ritz cracker encrusted blue fish. Everything was tasty and prepared well, except for the halibut which was just a little bit overdone. They have a nice wine list and we had 2 bottles of wine - a Chablis, and a viognier.

  I think the best restaurant of our stay in Cape Cod was at our friends Bob and Kathy. Every evening, we had fresh oysters and wine, and one evening we had a full dinner, with a whole lobster for each of us. Here's a picture to the right. We had a great time. Our thanks to Bob and Kathy.




The Wellfleet oysters are served in many restaurants and they are delicious - in Wellfleet they say that they are the best in the world. Alisa went with Bob on our last morning to "harvest" a few and return the used shells which is an integral part of maintaining the oyster bed's sustainability. Here is an interesting article about harvesting Wellfleet oysters. To the left is a picture of Alisa harvesting a few oysters.  





This one is for my friend, Haim.


This is not a story about the Yankees, or baseball, or sports specifically. It is about the convergence of several human events which made for a very exciting visit to Yankee Stadium. It also has very little resemblance to what I usually write about here, but I feel compelled to write about it for personal reasons. Read it at your own risk, or just jump to the end by clicking here.



I am a lifelong Yankee baseball fan. I went to the old original Yankee Stadium in the Bronx with my father when I was a kid. I went to the renovated and somewhat different Yankee Stadium which underwent an extensive overhaul in 1973 with my wife, but I had never been to the "New Yankee Stadium" which was built from the ground up in 2009 in the image of the old Yankee Stadium. In the early years of my life here in Israel I couldn't follow the team (I was lucky because they were horrible in the 80's and late 70's). In the late 90's they underwent a renaissance and at about the same time it became possible to follow them because of the internet and that I did.




In parallel, I became friends with Haim, who became my best friend in Israel for many years. He loved America, New York City, and the Yankees, not necessarily in that order. He visited the states, including NYC many times. He became my devoted pupil regarding the game of baseball. Every morning, during the baseball season, we would chat on the phone dissecting the previous day's game, and I would explain the more obtuse rules, and strategies, or strange plays which had occurred. We made a pact in 2009. We decided that we would visit New York City together and attend a game at the New Yankee Stadium.


  Unfortunately, that didn't happen. My friend Haim died in 2011 without ever getting to the New Yankee Stadium. I vowed that sooner or later, I would go, even if only to fulfill my promise to Haim.  


So, here we are in 2013 and we get this invitation to a wedding in Rhode Island and we decide to go. We expand it and stretch it to include a visit to my sister in New Jersey, our friends in Cape Cod and several days in New York City.  The day we arrive in New York City is also the very last day of the season for the Yankees at home in New York. After that, they have 3 more games elsewhere, but that doesn't really matter, because this visit coincides with another "human" event. One of the Yankees' stars who has played for them for 18 years, and has become the best ever at what he does is retiring this season and the day we arrive in New York City is the last game he will ever play in Yankee Stadium, and probably the last game he ever plays.  
  The player is Mariano Rivera and he became the greatest closer (relief pitcher who finishes winning games) of all time in baseball. He is an exceptional athlete and a wonderful human being and everybody in baseball loves and respects him. During the 2013 season in every city the Yankees played, the home team gave him a ceremony and the fans came out to cheer him and see him pitch. The last game he will ever play in Yankee Stadium should be something special, shouldn't it?  
  I arranged the schedule so that we would be in New York City for this game. I bought tickets for good seats 3 months in advance. When I bought them, there were plenty of seats available. By the beginning of September, it was a sellout. Everybody understood that this game would be a special game. The Yankees gave Rivera an official ceremony and a special day on Sunday, 4 days before this game, because ceremonies are good for attendance and television ratings on Sunday. But this game would be different - no official ceremony - just the general public spontaneously expressing their love and adulation for this iconic ballplayer.

  The day before this game, the Yankees had lost and had been eliminated mathematically from playoff contention, which meant that this game, as a game in the official standings was totally meaningless. However, this game became the most exciting and emotional "meaningless" game I have ever seen. The fans came to see Mariano Rivera. The stadium was half empty when the game started but by the 6th inning it was completely full with 50,000 fanatic fans who had come for one reason - to see Mariano Rivera throw his last pitch in his last game in Yankee Stadium.  

The atmosphere was electric and by the 7th inning, the crowd started chanting to see Mariano. Imagine 50,000 people chanting "Ma-ri-a-no, Ma-ri-a-no, Ma-ri-a-no". Finally, Mariano came in to pitch during the 8th inning. The crowd cheered every pitch and went wild as he easily retired the 2 batters he faced. He came out for the 9th inning, and continued his mastery of the batters. Nobody cared that the Yankees were losing 4-0. It just didn't matter. All eyes and thoughts were on Mariano. He easily retired the first 2 batters in the 9th inning. Then they arranged to remove Rivera from the game before the last batter, so that he could be cheered by the crowd one last time as he walked off the field. It was electric and very moving. Here is the Youtube clip which captures the last few minutes of Rivera's career.  
  As soon as Rivera left the field, he was forced to come out of the dugout and take several curtain calls. After that, all the fans headed for the exits, having seen what they had came for. I guess you had to be there to really appreciate it, but after our visit to NYC ended, I asked Alisa what was the most exciting thing we did. We had been to 2 plays, 1 concert and several great restaurants, but she didn't hesitate in declaring that the Yankee game was it.  



This is a page from our site Travels with Steve and Alisa.  It describes one of the many trips we have made together.  We've built these pages not just to describe our trips, but to help other travelers if we can.  Please use the information we've provided freely, and let us know if you have any questions we might be able to answer about your own planned trip, or just let us know if we have helped you. Or perhaps you have some information we could add to the site. Visit our home page using the link to the right.                 

Enjoy your next trip!!                         ~Steve & Alisa~


UPDATED: MAY 11, 2014